Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Blog Post 3

This is a comic about peer editing

Peer Editing:

Before I started watching these videos I thought I had a good idea of peer editing. All I had to do was look for grammatical errors, spelling errors, and punctuation errors. I was wrong, in the video What is Peer Editing I realized that you do have to correct the errors, but there are some guidelines. A lot of people do not like to be called out publicly about their mistakes. It could embarrass them and make you look like a bully, even if you are only trying to help. I see benefits for both; saying suggestions through a comment and through an email, but if I had to go with my gut I would put it in an email. Through a comment other students could see the mistakes, and make sure they didn't make any of their own. Towards an individual it could make them feel embarrassed, humiliated, and picked on. This is especially if the corrections are coming from someone your own age. I feel if you write an email it will seem less harsh, and more suggestive and caring.

In the video Writing Peer Review Top 10 Mistakes I learned that not only do students make these mistakes, but so do adults. For instance Picky Patty, no one is going to have a perfect paper! The reason for this is because we are human. Ergo nothing we do is going to be perfect. As peer editors, or even as teachers, we can’t mark off or make a big fuss for small mistakes, such as there being to much space between a word and a comma. All in all there is good and bad ways to do a peer review and being negative and harsh is a bad way to review. Give a lot of compliments and suggestions, if the student decides he/she does not want to change their paper it is up to them. Do not be a Pushy Paula!

Technology for Special Needs

If it wasn’t for my laptop, tablet, and my IPhone I probably wouldn’t be able to function properly. I am on Google every 5 minutes, on Facebook every hour, and on my Gmail every 2-3 hours. So before I watched the video Technology in Special Education, I already thought technology was important.

I know that teachers need technology for every type of class, especially the special education classrooms. Most of the students have a hard time writing, speaking, or hearing. Having technology in the classroom would better help them get
An IPad image
their work done faster and more efficiently by letting them see, type, and hear better. Technology can help make the lesson more interactive and enjoyable. When students can look up the material and see pictures and animations, rather than a PowerPoint it makes them more engaged in the lesson.

Not only does it help the students, but it helps the teachers as well. When a student in special education, or not, has illegible handwriting it is difficult for teachers to be able to read and grade appropriately. It makes it easier for teachers and students to communicate to each other. Altogether technology just makes learning more fun.

How the IPad works with academics for Autism

I found the video How the IPad works with academics for Autism , inspirational and outstandingly brilliant. So when I was looking up an App I was very picky on what I would use. Then I found an app called the “First Word App”.
 This is a screen shot of the First Word App
What it does is it calls out a letter for the child to pick and put in the right spot. The app spells out an animal, vehicle, or any type of word. After the word is put together it will spell the word out one more time and then says it aloud.

I would definitely use this in my classroom because this promotes reading and spelling. This app helps the children learn their ABC’s and helps them learn different objects. Plus I don’t know about anyone else, but when I see new exciting things, get to play on a computer, or work on a tablet I have more fun and am more willing to learn in the process. This is an app that I approve! In my opinion it will help the students have a fun way to learn.

Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students Digital Smarts:

Vicki Davis, on Harness Your Students Digital Smarts , has it all figured out in my opinion. She believes that we shouldn’t have to always be the teachers. That the students can show us, the teachers, a thing or two if we let them. Ms. Davis believes that using pen and paper is old school, and if those are the only tools we use only a select few students will succeed. She thinks that the students will succeed better if we start introducing technology to our students.

I agree with Ms. Davis I want to be able to teach a little to give the students a little push, and afterwards letting them teach me. I do not want to have
Picture of Vicki Davis
to always tell them what something is. I want them to go and research and look things up, and be able to find ways to search subjects. It is, in my opinion, more affective if we use the Internet. This is due to it being faster and more efficient researching a topic on three different sites within a couple hours. Instead of having to go to the library and look up in encyclopedias, which will take a couple days. I believe that if we give the students the “wheel” so to speak we will be amazed where they can take us.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed reading your blog! You were very well educated and opinionated about each subject, it was very well written! I also loved the little cartoon you put at the top. I agree that peer editing, if too negative, can appear to be mean or humiliate the student. Your spelling and grammar were spot on, the only paragraph I might take a second look at is the "top 10 mistakes". I believe there was a slight run on in there. I was also impressed by how many links and pictures you had in your post! It made it very interesting and fun to read. The only other change I would suggest is the color of the font. I found it a little hard to read with the current background you have selected. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your blog. You have a ton of great and helpful information. Your pictures, link, punctuation and spelling are right on point. The only thing I think you should change would be the color of your font. It was a little hard for me to read with the color of the back ground. Over all you did a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe there is a level of accountability to which every student should be held. Therefore, I will comment about your grammar in public. It's not to hurt your feelings. It's to hold you accountable for future posts.

    Kathryn Reynolds and Chelsea Strong both said that your writing is "spot on" and "on point." However, it is not. Either the two of them did not read your post or they need to attend writing help lessons.

    Your reflections on the assignments are good and your writing is not poor by any means. However, you DO need to proof read. I'm emphasizing this issue because I believe it is extremely important for future teachers to be capable of presenting themselves as educated professionals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for changing the color of your font.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Courtney,

    I love how you took the extra effort to add more pictures to your assignment! It made your blog assignment more attractive and "eye catching." The cartoon that you have at the beginning of your writing is very cute! It gave me a good laugh before I started reading. The cartoon also gave me a glance on what your post is about.



    However, I did see a some grammar errors and a few run-on sentences. One example would be sentence three in the "peer editing" section. Please re-read this sentence and see if you can find the error. If you cannot find the error or you would like to ask me about other errors I saw, do not hesitate to email me. (My email address is linked on my blog.)



    I am thrilled that you have been checking out the different blog designs and colors! I hope that you continue to improve your blog throughout the semester. However, I had trouble reading your assignment because your background blends in with your writing. The font that you chose is also hard for me to read. I wear contacts, so I had to really look hard and re-read a few sentences several times. These are two things you can edit fairly easy to improve your blog.



    Before I go, I wanted to encourage you. I read your about me, and I noticed that you have a 10 month old son. Congratulations for staying in school! Keep up the hard work, and do not give up! You are very brave. Good luck on your assignments this week! (I see you are already ahead.)



    Amy Archer

    ReplyDelete