Thursday, October 18, 2012

Blog Post 8


Multimedia Savvy? I think so!

I have always loved paperback books. I loved opening a new book and being able to smell the paper! Flipping each page and hear the beautiful crisp sound as it folds over. Richard E. Miller described the he has the same feelings I do about books. In his video This is How We Dream Part 1 and 2 , Mr. Miller describes his affection with books, but he also explains their limitations. As Mr. Miller explained there are millions upon millions of books. And thousands of libraries, but the problem is not every library has the same book. Therefore some student, teacher, child, or adult is missing out on different information.
 Pile of Books
Mr. Miller brings up the Internet. Describing how there is infinite knowledge and ways to research the riches of the world by using the internet. I have to agree with him. Books are wonderful and very handy, but how useful is a book if you cannot locate it? Not only that, but everything lives forever online. Not like the library where books get worn out, torn, or lost. Therefore losing more information that was needed.
Being able to see pictures is wonderful! You get to visualize and depict the research you are looking up. What is even better than pictures is a video! Being able to watch a favorite war scene or seeing the emotions as a speech is given. A book cannot give a person this luxury! How about being able to hear everything such as; cannons going off, Martin Luther King giving his speech, different types of songs. This is all possible with media learning.
I found out in Part 2 that with ITunes U a person can be able to listen to different lectures! This something completely new to me! I kept thinking, “Man if I would have known about this earlier I would have turned this on for my dad. Instead of reading him his Orthopedic books in the car.” This is very useful especially for people, such as myself, who are always on the go. This is a new exciting way for not only younger students to learn, but older students as well. This is just another way to integrate the internet into our daily lessons. I think that this will be useful for anyone who can work a computer!

Carly Pugh’s Blog Post #12

I think that Carly Pugh went over the top on her assignment. It was an excellent assignment and a great idea! I think that she was where Mr. Miller was on the idea of multimedia due to her wanting to use YouTube and other types of visual aides. As she said in her post she thinks that students and others can learn better by using some type of visual.
 Carly Pugh's photo
This is also a great idea to help answer the question “Why am I becoming a teacher?” This is the most important question for an educator! If an educator doesn’t have a good reason, or doesn’t know why he/she wants to become a teacher he/she is in the wrong career field. I think that this would have been a great assignment to try in anyone’s classroom! I hope I can come up with something that great when I think of what Dr. Strange should have assigned.

My Ideas!

In the first video EDM310 For Dummies I just thought it was the funniest thing! I couldn’t stop laughing and then when I did I watched the video again and started laughing all over. I think that having a book for this class is a great idea! I would like to think of myself as computer savvy, so I do not think that I would need to use it all that often. Others on the other hand can become so frustrated that this would ease their pain.
In the video The Chipper Series it seems like Chipper is not being a good student and following up with her work. She ends up being all the things that a student shouldn’t be. Such as Chipper procrastinating or blaming Dr. Strange for not “teaching” her. Eventually she drops out and thinks of a really bad idea that ends up terribly. Then she ends up becoming an awful teacher!
 Compass with good and bad
I think I would like to create something along the lines of two different students living two different lives. One lives his life studying and working hard. While the other one goofs off and enjoys his/her time. Then see where they end up in 20 years! That would be cool.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn

I have learned a lot in just this class. There is so much out there that no one realizes is out there! For instance a lot people do not realize that Facebook and Gmail accounts can be academic. This is because no devices are allowed in school. Now do not get me wrong I do not want my child to be on an IPAD when he is only 5 years old! However, I do want my child to be able to type 50-100 words a minute. This is because as implied in the video Learn to Change, Change to Learn technology is becoming a more vast resource. We use computers to give tests, to write paragraphs, to do research, and other things.
 To change is to learn
When we have our students who go out and use email, Facebook, and twitter to communicate and research how are we to tell them to turn it off? Now, I do want to put it out there that the majority of the students will want to use their devices for other means. This means that they will not being using them for educational purposes. I see the good and the bad of being able to use technology and not using technology.

Scavenger Hunt

I think that in the Scavenger hunt the tool that would be almost like Facebook or Twitter is the community tools. This tool allows teachers to communicate with students or parents any time anywhere. This would allow the students to ask a question after or before school hours. Or allow parents to see what assignments his/her child is suppose to be accomplishing. This will also be able to keep assignments from being turned in late.
The Powerpoint was made by Prezi. This slideshow miracle allows students and teachers to use its’ services for no charge. Of course that is only for the basic. Get this if you want to up to the highest level the price is… drum roll please…. $4.92 a month! That is just amazing to be able to use such a wonderful service for such a low price! I think one of the video tools apps that I like the most is the Animoto. This application can be used with music or your own voice. It can help teach lessons in an interesting way.
To see my comic click here
I created my poll:

Family on PhotoPeach

1 comment:

  1. Hi Courtney,

    After reading your blog post # 8, I found a few errors but overall contained all the content needed. Some sentences in particular are “Richard E. Miller described the he has the same feelings I do about books.” “This something completely new to me!” Proofreading can fix these small errors. I agree with the point you made about ITunes U that it is convenient for people on the go. We were on the same page on Carly`s post I said something similar that I think this is a good way to remind teachers why they have chosen this profession. Your PowerPoint was so cute. I absolutely loved it!

    ReplyDelete