Wednesday, November 7, 2012

A World Where Grades Don't Exist


In the article A World Where Grades Don't Exist I think that Dr. Thrun brought up some very valiant points. I think that he is not trying to replace in classroom teaching. Instead I think that he is trying to expand the way of learning and the learning environment. Expansion, to me, doesn't mean that we need to get rid of the old material. It just means that we need to bring in some new material. I did really like the idea of not having to pay for classes, or having to pay a small fee. I don't think that anyone would have a problem with free things. As a struggling parent of one this would be a miracle.
 Grads on papers crossed out
I do agree with Dr. Thrun when he states that we should not be the ones to tell the students they whether they are doing well or not. Unfortunately the Board of Education and School Administration requires us to give grades. Now, I love technology as much as the next person, but I am not the kind of person who doesn't want a grading system. I'm not saying that I have to grade every detail, but if a student wants to know why if they turn everything in on time and they do it to the best of their ability and they get a B. What will you tell them? "I'm sorry I didn't find that you did it well enough" that just throws everything out the window. How can we expect our students to not have a grading system, and to tell them to do it to the best of their abilities.Then turn around and say I'm sorry I don't think this is the best you can do. Who are we to judge the best of their abilities?
On the other hand I do not want to be Mrs. Picky and have to have every detail broken down. I do not want to grade a piece of art work and say I'm sorry that line is not straight enough, Sally you will receive an F.
 Grades are good
I think grades are important and essential in the classroom, so that the students know whether or not they are on the right track. Because in real life the think that they are doing their job to "the best of their ability" or "until they know how to do it" they will end up losing their job. Like I said I think that he did bring up some very good points. I just don't think that a couple of them would work for me as a student or a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment