Wednesday, November 28, 2012


Brian Cosby

I had no idea what the video TEDxDenverEd by Brian Cosby would be about.
 Brian Cosby
As I watched I was thinking oh goodness it is going to be someone lecturing! I should have known, especially from this class, that even a personal speaker can be interesting, and he was! I laughed and was engaged the entire time. I was watching and taking notes wondering what I could learn from him. I learned a lot more than what I thought I would. Brian Cosby talks and presents some very interesting points. He talks about his classes and how that they are at risk secondary language students. He shows a couple questions that he asks his students and how many got them right. To be honest it was a little upsetting that only 3 of them knew what country they lived in. Mr. Cosby showed that if you do not give up on student. Every single student is bound to surprise you and others.
Many people would have called these students of poverty and would make excuses for them not knowing some information. Mr. Cosby said that every student has the right to receive knowledge! This is what he gave each and every individual learner. As I watched this video I saw all of the ways he taught his students such as; digital cameras, blogs, interactive whiteboards, and laptops etc. He used every tool he had to make them engaged and want to learn.
 Air Balloon
Using a giant balloon filled with helium and watching it take off with the camera. Being able to blog about it and watching it in real time with Google maps is just amazing! It just proves that technology is just the future of learning.
Younger students want to be heard, recognized, and commented on. By using Skype, blogs, and other useful tools they can. This will make them want to collaborate not only in the classroom, but also outside it as well. This is what any teacher wants to work towards. This helped with Mr. Cosby’s students with writing their “High Notes” and stories about if they were the balloon with language accuracy. To all the teachers who do not want to accept the technology all I have to say is watch the proof. It really does help the students and that’s what we are working for.

A Vision of Students Today

The video A Vision of Students Today really speaks to me. I am the student that is looking at Facebook in class. I am the student that has to pay for books and never open them. We have all of the issues and problems that can be solved by using the technology that is here. By using the tools that have been given.
 Students in a classroom
As a teacher, we can save our students from paying more and being less engaged in our classrooms. We can do this by letting them use the resources that they already have (Google, Facebook, Cell phones, etc.). Teachers have the power to make class interesting, they just don’t. I’m not saying it is their fault. They are told to follow a curriculum and that is what they do. I think that there is ways to make every class interesting. Instead of using books let the students make a wiki or have them make a blog. Keeping our student s separated and keeping them as individuals instead of combining them together.

No comments:

Post a Comment