Wednesday, November 7, 2012


Ms. Cassidy and Blogging

Ms. Cassidy started off with 5 computers, no programs, and the Internet. She wanted to be able to incorporate the computers into the classroom some how. I mean what is the use in having computers if you don’t utilize them? So she decided to look on the Internet for something useful. Wouldn’t you know she found blogs!
She found that she could coordinate homework assignments, information, and writing assignments on one simple website. She was able to become an Internet guru and found other sites and programs to teach her students. One of these amazing and useful programs being Skype By using this program the students were able to talk to not only other students, but also different types of professionals. She described that she would have been able to do all of this without the support from the technology coordinator.
Ms. Cassidy made it known in her video that she is very pro technology! Which is great we have to move with the times. Paper and pencil is going out of style, so to speak. I had no idea what blogging was until I got into this class. I didn’t realize how much it could do for not only the students, but for the adults as well. As a parent, being able to see my son’s online portfolio would make me feel more at ease with his learning experience. This is because I would be able to see what he is learning and how well he is learning it. Not to mention he would love writing his blog. He is already starting to take my cell phone and he is only one. No, but seriously having an audience is what students strive for. They want that attention and to feel like they are doing a great job!
 Postive Reinforcement
With positive reinforcement and ways to keep them engaged we will get father with them.
For all of those teachers who think that they can get away with teaching old school, get with the times. Technology isn’t going away EVER! We are going to have to grow with it. This means to put the pencils and paper away, and get out the laptops! If a teacher is to keep teaching their old ways then they a literally handicapping themselves and their students, which isn’t fair. Not to mention if this is going to get your students to do their work and do it without a fight why wouldn’t you take advantage of it? The students wants the whole world to see what they are working on, which means they will be working harder and making it better.
Another great thing that Ms. Cassidy mentioned in her video is that you have to start with what works for you. I love Facebook I am on it probably about 6+ times a day. I know Facebook, and when Dr. Strange mentioned this Twitter thing to me I literally said “OH GOD NO!!”
 Follow me bird
Now I feel like an idiot because it does help me in some situations. I am still not a pro, but I do see the perks in having one, so thanks Dr. Strange!
Blogs are useful in every classroom and every subject. Blogs can be used for announcements, information, and resources. There are a lot of ways to cheat in a classroom, but because they are on a class blog there is a better change there won’t be any. Blogging is just another way to view information. I think that we are going in the right direction in for learning we have to make sure that we push our students to do the right thing. They need to choose the right links to go to, write nice things to others, to learn, and have fun!
 Right Direction Wrong Direction

2 comments:

  1. Courtney,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. You seemed like you were really into it and you provided some great information. I like your input on how technology is taking over the classroom. Also, how you never blogged when you were in school because I didnt either. You provided some strong points and it was very well written. I look forward to reading future posts and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete